1. I will spend time daily in the Word of God and in prayer.
As you spend time with God, you will inevitably hear His heart for you, your neighbors, and the nations. The more we know Him, the more we will love Him. The more we love Him, the more our heart will break for what breaks His heart.
See Isaiah 6.
2. I will pray for God to raise up laborers in my church for God’s harvest field globally and locally (Glocally).
When Jesus saw the multitudes “harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd” without Him, His heart was filled with compassion. What He did next is amazing! He told His disciples to “pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” Right before His ascension, Jesus defined the scope of this harvest field as being from “Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Pray for your church and we will pray with you!
See Matthew 9:35-38 and Acts 1:8
3. I will get to know people from other cultures in my community.
Most of us live or work near someone who wasn’t born in our country and who speaks another language. God has placed them in your life for a purpose. You are the salt of the earth, the light of the world, and a city set upon a hill. Let your light shine. Learn about their language, culture, and country and present Jesus to them. Visit international restaurants near you, be friendly, try new kinds of food, and make some new friends.
See Matthew 5:13-16
4. I will participate in a mission trip in my city this year.
If you haven’t ever done a cross-cultural ministry outreach in your city, this is the year to do it. You will see your city in a new beautiful light and you will see God’s heart for ALL nations. By the way, this is our passion at Glocal Mission. We would LOVE to help you get involved in reaching your city!
5. I will listen to and read the news through a Great Commission lens.
(adapted from an article on imb.org)
As you learn what’s happening in the world, think about what might be happening spiritually in countries in the news. Pray for believers and missionaries there. Then, pray for the people there who don’t know Jesus. Don’t be exasperated by the news—let it drive you to your knees.
6. I will pray every day for three people to become Christians.
God has placed you where you work, go to school, and live. He has also placed people who desperately need Him in those places. Make a commitment to praying every single day for a least three of them by name.
7. I will invite someone without a church family to my church at least once a month.
Take a look at your church calendar and pick events that you can invite people to. Church meals, movie nights, holiday services, work projects, etc. People outside the church need what you love about church; friendship, a safe environment for their kids, spiritual help, and, obviously, free meals.
8. As I start my day, I will offer to the Lord my time, talent, treasure, temple (body), and technology.
Ask God to help make His agenda your agenda. Ask Him to leverage your talents for His cause. Offer your finances joyfully and generously for the work of the Great Commission. Ask Him to give you the words to say when people ask you about the HOPE that is in you.
See Isaiah 6:8 and 1 Peter 3:15
9. I will ask someone to disciple me to help me live the Great Commission.
We all get off track for different reasons. We get busy. We get distracted. We get tangled up in sin. We get discouraged and dejected. God knows that and for that reason He put us in the Body of Christ so that others can walk with us, guide us, and keep us accountable.
10. I will pray for God to bring someone to my life that I can disciple and help them live the Great Commission.
Number 9 is first. You must be a disciple before you can effectively disciple others. There are many who need help growing just like you do and as you grow God will allow you to pour into others so that they too become Great Commission Christians.